Behind BOTOX®, facial fillers are the second most popular non-surgical, anti-aging treatment that helps restore lost volume. Patients wanting more fullness in their lips and cheeks, an enhanced profile, a more defined jawline, more youthful hands and even fuller breasts, can easily achieve their goals when working with an experienced injector. One of the many reasons both patients and injectors love dermal fillers is the immediate results we can achieve.
RejuvenationMD is in the top 1% in the U.S. with the amount of filler and BOTOX® we perform each year. Here are a few answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we hear during our patient consults.
1. How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
When patients ask how long their filler will last, the short answer is, “it depends on where the filler is placed.” More active areas, like the lips, won’t last as long as more static areas like tear troughs.
Another factor is the viscosity of the dermal filler. Thinner, more-spreadable fillers like Juvederm Ultra or Volbella can last six months to a year depending on placement. Thicker, more-structural fillers, like Juvederm Voluma, is proven to last up to 2 years.
At RejuvenationMD in Bellingham and Burlington, WA, our golden rule is, “dose equals duration.” When you’ve made the decision to invest in your appearance, it’s important to get the recommended number of syringes to fully address and correct your concerns for optimal results.
2.What’s the Difference Between Fillers and Botox?
We get this question quite often! The difference between BOTOX® and dermal filler is that BOTOX® keeps particular muscles from moving to prevent lines and wrinkles from forming, while dermal filler adds volume. BOTOX® and filler treatments complement each other to lift and smooth the face, reducing the appearance of lines, wrinkles and folds while restoring volume. Our providers often use the two injectables in conjunction with each other to
While filler is often seen as a treatment for “all ages”, BOTOX® is also a wonderful anti-aging preventative to help keep lines and wrinkles from forming and it can be used in small doses on patients who don’t yet have lines.
3. How Long Does It Take for Fillers to Settle?
We always remind our patients that every body is different— one of the many reasons we love aesthetics! Keep in mind that the results of dermal fillers are immediate, but the time it takes for fillers to settle depends on the area and the type of filler. Your provider will go over what to expect from a treatment prior to your appointment.
4. When is maintenance recommended on my dermal filler treatment?
There are a few factors that determine when you’ll need a touch-up appointment. Let’s use lips as an example since it’s one of the most popular areas for filler.
- Type of filler. Different types of filler determine your maintenance schedule. For instance, if you followed the recommended protocol for Juvederm Ultra lip filler, then it’s likely you’ll want to schedule a touch up in 6 to 8 months.
- Metabolism. Some people metabolize filler at a faster pace. If you received the recommended number of syringes for your lips, but you notice that you need a touch up earlier than the recommended schedule, you may be one that metabolizes hyaluronic acid more quickly.
- Number of Syringes. Remember that dose equals duration. If you follow your provider’s treatment plan, you should experience optimal results. If you opted to go slow, you’re not alone. Filler is a process and it’s better to go slow and build on your treatment to make sure you love your results.
5. Do Fillers Ruin Your Face?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are the most popular type of dermal fillers. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally found in our bodies. 1, 2 The good news is if you aren’t comfortable with how filler looks on your body, hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are temporary and they can be easily reversed.
Before you schedule an appointment with an injector, do your research! Ask to see before and after photos, and find out how much experience your injector has. We’ve written blogs, created videos (Dr. T Shows You How to Get Pouty, Plump Lips and Want Lift? Start with Voluma Cheek Filler.) and posted on social media about the importance of being choosy when it comes to selecting your injector.
Have Any More Questions? Call Us At (360) 982-2620
If you still have questions or concerns about dermal fillers, please see our Dermal Fillers resource page. And, then reach out to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our providers who can provide recommendations and answer questions specific to your goals. (360) 982-2620.